Third Grade Classroom Guidance Lessons
Gandy Elementary School uses Second Step: A Violence Prevention Curriculum, Third Edition. It is designed to promote social competence and to reduce children's social-emotional problems. The curriculum teaches students several skills central to healthy social-emotional development: Empathy, impulse control, problem solving and anger management.
In addition, all grades are included in lessons on Career Awareness and Substance Abuse Prevention at various times of the school year.
Some examples of third grade classroom guidance lessons are:
* Showing concern for another person
* Identifying and practicing active-listening skills
* Initiating, continuing, and ending a conversation in a friendly way
* Dealing with disappointment
* Dealing with peer pressure
* Understanding that while everyone is different, people are also similar