Fifth Grade Classroom Guidance Lessons
Gandy Elementary School uses Second Step: A Violence Prevention Curriculum, Third Edition. It is designed to promote social competence and to reduce children's social-emotional problems. The curriculum teaches students several skills central to healthy social-emotional development: Empathy, impulse control, problem solving and anger management.
In addition, all grades are included in lessons on Career Awareness and Substance Abuse Prevention at various times of the school year.
Some examples of fifth grade classroom guidance lessons are:
* Learning how one's actions can affect others
* Recognizing others' rights and offering a fair solution to a problem
* Practicing active-listening skills
* Communicating feelings and giving support
* Dealing with gossip
* Dealing with frustration
* Keeping out of a fight
* Setting goals to improve personal and social skills